Now that it’s officially December it’s time to start the holiday decorating! After you’ve found your inspiration, you want to start actually planning how to set up your mantel display. Seeing beautifully decorated mantels on social media can be intimidating to recreate. Here are a few Christmas decorating tips to make setup more fun! We’ve also included some Department 56 inspiration based on your decorating style. All items can be purchased on our website!
- Create height variation. One of the easiest ways to add dimension to your arrangement is with a vase or candle.
- Add greenery or organic materials. Embrace the fun of the holiday season by using fir or pine garlands, birch branches, or poinsettias. (live or artificial)
- Candles add ambiance. Their warm light draws attention and adds to the atmosphere.
- Personal touches are important. Add a cherished item or picture on the mantel. It’s important to still reflect you as a homeowner.
- Use repetition, such as hanging stockings or placing votives throughout your creation. Some consistency across the long surface expertly ties in all of your mantel décor elements.
- Keep it simple. Sometimes less really is more!
For the traditional decorator:
Create a scene on your mantel that even Mrs. Claus would envy! This “Christmas Traditions” Santa has a basket of greens in one arm and a delicate dove of peace nesting on his other hand. The elegant sleigh and gift bag with small metallic accents bring a little sparkle to the display. Cut a piece of glitter wrapping paper as your mantel runner. Add Santa’s backdrop to complete the scene.
For the contemporary decorator:
Don’t be afraid to embrace the sparkle! Choosing a bold red with gold accents is a perfect start and the texture of the feathers are a playful addition. The whimsical bird nutcracker breaks the conventional mold and ties in perfectly with the feather trees.
For the Village collector:
Village accessories can tie your collection together as well as add a personalized touch to your mantel. Don’t be afraid to mix pieces from different collections! Looking for something special this year? Consider adding one of our 40th Anniversary pieces before they’re sold out!
For the minimalist decorator:
Sometimes simple is best! Add natural touches by incorporating elements of the outdoors such as oversized mushrooms and glittered pine trees to add height. Bring out your lighthearted side by adding cute outdoor friends, like Santa’s elves dressed as friendly gnomes.Share This Post!